Welcome to the 15th annual edition of the Arnold-McKnight Holiday tell-it-all. This year, unlike any other, has not been full of moves, publications, baby birthdays, or career changes. It’s been even better! We have been living in DC for over a year now and love every minute of it! The best part about living close to family, of course, is family. We’ve managed to see everyone every few weeks since we’ve been here, and always seem to get together for the really special events, like birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, Saturdays, whatever. I have taken advantage of Miriam’s Redskins tickets, and of our neighbor’s major league baseball (Nationals) tickets. We especially enjoyed Aunt Lil’s 85th birthday party and Miriam and Jason’s first Thanksgiving in their new house. We also took the kids to Ocean City for our first trip to the beach as a family in a while. Spending a week with Miriam, Jason, and Ryan was a lot of fun.
It’s going to be hard to say goodbye next summer….yes, we are leaving again next summer. You’ll never guess to where. (If you guessed Colorado Springs, you were right. I know, easy question.) After long and due consideration, the Air Force is sending me back to Colorado Springs—for the fourth time, if you are counting—but not back to the Air Force Academy. Instead, the Air Force has designated me the next commander of the 22d Space Operations Squadron. This is the unit responsible for the Air Force’s system of satellite command and control (you may know I have written a book on that subject—see last year’s letter for details.) I must admit that being a squadron commander is a dream come true. I think if I told you I was excited that might just be an understatement. For more details on what my new squadron’s mission is or where it’s located, check out http://www.schriever.af.mil/wingpa/factsheets/22SOPSfs.doc .
I am still at the Pentagon these days, working as the executive officer for a two-star general who is the director of long-range planning for Headquarters Air Force. I am responsible for his schedule and correspondence, among other things. He’s a very interesting guy who doesn’t make me stay at the Pentagon late into the night. Oh, and on November 1st, I finally got promoted to lieutenant colonel, surrounded by family and friends. So, you may call me lieutenant colonel or doctor, whichever you prefer!
Because I am away from home even more than last year, Doreen finds ways to keep herself busy. She volunteers about one day a week at each school, helping with the young ones at Kit’s school and helping evaluate reading skills in Erin’s classroom. Somehow Doreen’s also finding time to play bells at church, help run the local Mom’s club, and run our household. She’s ALSO teaching Sunday school. But Doreen did find some time to take a weekend off to go to Minneapolis to shop with some close friends. And I’m proud to say, I never called her once while she was gone.
Every birthday we had this year was significant. Kit turned two in May, which was a lot of fun to celebrate with family. He’s all boy, which is fine. He’s wild about trucks and spaceships, and may even be more musical than Erin. Currently, he is the reigning King of Rock and Roll—just ask him. He talks and walks and swims. Kit also seems to really enjoy his 3-day preschool, which is great, too.
Erin turned 5 in January and celebrated with a birthday party. She continues to excel at school. She reads so well, in fact, that she often reads me a story before she goes to bed at night. Not surprisingly, her teacher reports that our gregarious daughter is the leader of the kindergartners in her class. The Montessori classroom has been a terrific experience for her and we hope we’ll be able to get her into a similar program for elementary kids next year. And she still loves ballet and tap. Her dance recital this year in Virginia was a whole lot of fun. Plus she has a holiday recital this year, too. And if that‘s not enough, she’s taking up the piano. Like mother, like daughter, I guess.
Both kids are doing wonderfully and we couldn’t be happier to be their parents. This year we even did Halloween at the Air and Space Museum.
We’ll spend Christmas with my family in the DC area and hope to have Doreen’s parents with us for a while. We hope to see you soon, or at the very least to hear from you! Until next year from Colorado Springs, have a wonderful holiday season and a safe and Happy 2006!
David, Doreen, Erin, “Kit,” & Rigel the dog!
Web: http://davidoreen.blogspot.com
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home